Friday, August 6, 2010

Visiting Dr. LaCroix

Yesterday we visited Dr. LaCroix for Landon's 3 year old check-up. I know...it's a little late. I called to make an appointment a week before he turned three, and the receptionist told me Dr. LaCroix didn't have anything open till the end of July and it was during Landon's nap time. I sighed and told her we would take it. I always have this problem with getting in to see Dr. LaCroix. She's always so busy. They offer for Landon to see one of her colleagues, but then it's frustrating cause I feel like I have to explain him and his "situations". Plus, Dr. LaCroix is so good with him, and she knows him so well. She really is worth the wait.

Anyways, a day before our appointment at the end of July, I called to see if someone had cancelled and they had an opening for earlier in the day. The receptionist told me that we weren't scheduled to see Dr. LaCroix because her schedule had changed, so we had to make ANOTHER appointment for the beginning of August at 6 in the evening! I didn't think they were even open then! It actually worked out really well going that late in the evening. They weren't busy, and we were seen pretty quickly. Dr. LaCroix even had time to sit and chit-chat with us. Maybe I'll make all his appointments that late in the day. :)

So, Landon is growing well. He is in the 50th percentile for his height and weight. As I've mentioned in the past, we've been going to get Landon weighed at the feeding and growth clinic at Children's. We got him weighed at the end of May and he was 31 lbs 6 oz. We got him weighed again a couple of weeks ago, and he was the exact same weight! Dr. LaCroix mentioned that she felt that we needed to add a couple of ounces a day back into his feedings of the Nutren Junior. I was kind of bummed, but understood why she felt like we needed to do that. She is trying to ensure that Landon stays on the growth curve the way he needs to. I had a feeling someone was going to tell me that with the way his weights were going. We're going to start incorporating more snacks and larger meals into his diet, so he will get some extra calories. He'll be fed a snack at preschool, so I think it will be a good habit to start. She told me to give him foods with good fats and suggested that I start adding more dairy products into his diet. She also told me to try a small amount of peanut butter on a cracker and see how he does with that. I think he'll like it if he's able to move it around in his mouth. If not, he'll be trying to work the peanut butter off the roof of his mouth. :)

No comments: