Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Mangia, Mangia Sydney!!

Sydney LOVES to eat.  She will eat just about anything on a spoon.  We haven't always had it this easy though...


When I first started giving Sydney rice cereal (which is what is recommended by most pediatricians as "the first food") she did really great with it.  She loved it and would eat just about all of what I gave her.  On the third time, however, the eating resulted in lots of throwing up. :(  I tried again thinking it was just a fluke, and the same thing happened, so I stopped feeding her until I talked to Dr. LaCroix about what it could be.  She suggested just starting her on food (like apples) and adding a little bit of rice cereal to her apples and see how she tolerated it.  She said she hasn't ever heard of a baby being allergic to rice cereal before, so she figured maybe it would be better to start out with a little bit and work our way up.  So, I started her on apples and, hesitantly, added a little bit of rice cereal to her food.  Thankfully, it worked out perfect!  We haven't had any messes since!  YEA!

Sydney has an amazing appetite!  I'm glad she has loved everything she's tried and eats willingly.  We've tried a lot of different types of foods such as:  apples, bananas, carrots, peas, prunes (too many bananas ;) ), sweet potatoes, pears, squash, green beans, white beans, and just recently we tried some blueberries.


Feed me!  Feed me!


I don't have any more Sydney...sorry.


Okay, then I'll just lick the bowl.


And maybe I'll get something off this spoon too.

At her six month appointment (just after my last post) she was weighing in at 14 pounds 2 ounces.  A little small for her weight (between the 5th and 10th percentile), but I just chalked it up to her not eating rice cereal like other babies her age are doing.  Plus, Dr. LaCroix didn't seem concerned because Landon always fell around there with his weight too.  She said she expects small babies from two small people. :)  I'm sure Sydney has made up for lost time now!!  She eats two 3.5 oz containers of baby food at lunch and dinner.  I was just talking about starting to include a breakfast in her diet.  She's gotten a little hungrier in the mornings, so I'm hoping if I give her something in the morning she'll last until around lunch time....hopefully. :)

2 comments:

Megan Roberts said...

She's getting SO big! I wouldn't worry about rice cereal! It's nothing but calories. I gave it to Nevin once and never again. Studies are showing it has little to no REAL nutritional value and a lot of docs are recommending fruits and vegetables as first foods, so I'd say she's doing great!

Laura Arcuragi said...

Can't say I have any idea about how much babies are SUPPOSED to be eating, but I like her taste in veggies and fruit!! YAY!! She is such a cutie! I love how expressive she is!