Sunday, January 30, 2011

And 3 becomes 4!

Things have been a little nuts around here over the past week.  I ended up going into labor last Saturday and went to the hospital around lunch time.  I was having contractions about every 2 to 3 minutes apart when I got there.  They got me hooked up to everything and the doctor came in and checked to see how far along I was.  I was hoping to be at 5 centimeters or something, but all I got was 2. :(  Since I was contracting so hard, little girl was not doing so well.  Her heartrate dropped a few times and all the nurses came rushing in my room to move me around.  I started to get really scared when a doctor came rushing in with them and told the nurses to give me a shot of a medicine to slow down how much I was contracting.  He told me that the baby wasn't handling all the contractions very well and that's why her heartrate kept dropping.

I was really nervous, but the doctor told me that we should get the epidural in place just in case.  I agreed and knew it was coming anyways.  All this time I was telling myself things were going to be fine and I would be able to have the VBAC that I had wanted.  After having the epidural, and having a medication induced freak out moment, I was relaxed and ready to let labor run its course.  After about an hour the doctor came in to check me and I was only 3 centimeters...dang it!  I was hoping for more, but she said that maybe after she broke my water it would speed things up a bit.  She said that as long as my contractions were helping me progress and the baby was tolarating it well we could proceed with the VBAC.  Otherwise I was going to have to end up having a c-section.

The baby started having a really high heart rate when I wasn't contracting and then it would go off the charts when I did have a contraction.  Braydon was nervously watching the monitor and agreed with the doctor when she came in and said that the baby was way too stressed out to continue.  She said that if I was more dialated she would've let me continue, but I was only 3 cm.  So after a lot of crying on my part, I reluctantly agreed that the c-section would probably be best.  Braydon and I agreed that we didn't want anything bad to happen to me or the baby, and so I had to give in to the whole VBAC idea.  Poor little thing couldn't handle all the stress.


So, on Saturday, January 22nd at 6:15pm our little girl, Sydney Addison Walsh was born into the world.  She's a cute little thing.  Braydon got to cut her cord and help get her weighed (she was 7lbs 10oz and 20 inches long), which he didn't get to experience with Landon.  We kept saying how different it was with Sydney versus Landon.  Landon was whisked away and I didn't even get to see him until after I went to the recovery room...even then I had to ask to see him.  With Sydney, Braydon got to hold her and cuddle her and be with her.

Sydney and I spent the next couple of days in the hospital getting to know each other.  It's been so great to get to experience her in a way that I didn't get with Landon until later.  She's a pretty good baby.  She only really cries when she's hungry and if I don't feed her fast enough she gets a little temper.  It's cute.


In the hospital before we went home


On our way home...doesn't she look cozy??



It's been pretty crazy getting used to having two children.  Braydon and I have luckily gotten some sleep at night, but we've been trying to learn what Sydney's schedule is on top of taking care of Landon and doing all the things we normally do.  It's not going to be easy that's for sure...it'll just take some getting used to.




Landon is adjusting well.  Yesterday we had a little meltdown for no reason, but that's the first thing he's done to act out.  The first few days he wasn't so sure about Sydney and wouldn't even really acknowledge her, but after we got her home he really started to warm up to her and now lets her hug him and he'll hug her too.  I hope he continues to do well with her and they become good friends.


Playing with Thomas the train.  He tells me that when he puts the train cars into that little building that they are eating. :)


Gotta love the stop sign...

I want to take a minute and thank my husband.  He has really been amazing through this whole thing.  He took on the responsibilities of the house and Landon while I was in the hospital and then took care of me when I came home.  He is truly amazing and I love him dearly.  I think I would've gone a little crazy without him. :)  I LOVE YOU HONEY!!!!

No comments: