Monday, September 6, 2010

Landon's computer skills

My son has turned into a computer geek.  Don't get me wrong, I love computer geeks.  I married one.  I just didn't expect my son to become one so early in life.

A little background story:

We had been talking with Landon's teachers that used to come to the house before Landon started school about getting him some sort of device that could talk for him when he pushed a picture on a computer screen.  They recommended that we go to a place that would do an evaluation on him to determine how well he would do with one, and how much the machine would need to help him.  So, I ended up calling them and sure enough they needed a referral from our insurance.  I called to get the referral through his pediatrician and they never got back to me.  Things got crazy and I ended up forgetting about it until one of the teachers asked me about it again.  I called again to get the referral put through, but with no luck.  Finally, we ended up talking with Ashley about it and she told me about one of her families that used a program on the iPad that was similar to what Landon would get through doing this evaluation.  I talked with Braydon about it and we decided that it was worth the money if it was going to help him communicate with the people around him.  I wanted him to go to school with some way to express himself to his friends and his teachers.  So, we ended up getting it.  It is the best money we've ever spent!!!  Landon is still learning how to use it, but he's doing great at school with being able to talk during circle time and tell his classmates what he played with that day. :)  He has a speech pathologist at school that also works with him on it, and she always has good things to say about him using it.  He tells the teachers what color he wants to color with when doing an art project.  It's really been a blessing.

So, with that being said, we've also been downloading some fun little games on it so we can enjoy it too.  Braydon found a bird game where you slingshot these funny little birds into these buildings to pop these little pigs hiding inside.  It sounds pretty weird, but it's actually really fun and addicting.  I've gotten addicted, Braydon's been addicted, and now Landon is unfortunately addicted too.  Poor guy. ;)  He just thinks it's fun and loves to watch the birds fly through the air.  The good thing about it is it's teaching him some skills of how the iPad works and how soft he needs to touch it.  It's also teaching him hand/eye coordination.


Here is Landon playing the "bird game" at lunch.  He's just so cute. :)

The countdown to know the sex of baby Walsh is 2 days!!!  Braydon and I will be going to the appointment on Wednesday and will get to see the baby on an ultrasound.  Hopefully the baby cooperates and we'll be able to tell if it's a boy or a girl.  I'm also keeping my fingers crossed that everything is going okay in there.  I feel it kicking and moving all the time, so that makes me happy. :)