Sunday, September 30, 2012

Attempt at a homemaker

I try my best at the stay-at-home mom/homemaker bit.  I have good days and bad days.  I clip coupons to save us money, try to keep my house clean, keep up with the never-ending piles of laundry, and try to love on my children in between all the craziness that happens in life.  I feel like for the most part I get a gold star.  My kids are fed, clothed and happy.  That's all that matters, right?  I found this on Pinterest and thought that it needed to be on a big sign on my ceiling so I could see it every morning when I wake up.


Maybe then I wouldn't worry so much about the little things.  Life is short, right? :)

I also found something else on Pinterest that I thought I would give a try this year.  The past couple of years, we've taken the kids to pick apples at a nearby orchard.  We come home with so many yummy apples and after the first few the excitement over the apples starts to dwindle.  I was thinking about trying to make my own applesauce and found a recipe to make it in a crock pot.  Sounded pretty easy, so I decided to try it.  

Sydney and I went to the orchard and pick a bunch of apples.  I'm thankful we went when we did because the lack of rain this summer made all the apples have a short life span.  They were ready to pick a lot early that normal.  The man let me know that the next week would probably be the last week to get anything good.  

We picked some nice Jonathan apples which happened to be the best apples for applesauce. :)


I spent my "my time" while Sydney was taking her afternoon nap, peeling and chopping apples to add to the crock pot.  With a little brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and some love from the crock pot, we eventually had something to work with.



I mashed up what was in the crock pot with a potato masher and put it in the blender until it was the right consistency.  It turned out tasting like apple pie filling!  Delicious!


Did that make me super mom?  No, but it was fun to know I could make it myself and it not taste gross! :)  On a side note, this jar didn't last long. ;)

1 comment:

Jessica said...

SUPER MOM! That's awesome!