Monday, October 19, 2009

Mondays are awful...this one got better...

So....today was actually not as bad as I thought it was going to be. I was super nervous going to sleep last night, but the lack of sleep from worrying helped me to get to sleep. Otherwise, I was going to be awake all night making myself a nervous wreck.

When we got to the hospital this morning, the nurses were so nice and comforting to us and didn't mind giving us an update on Landon every 30 minutes. I spent some time with one of the nurses going over some tricks of the trade when dealing with Landon. I told her how he loves to find exit signs, his Mickey Mouse (which we didn't leave home without), and the movie "Cars". She took the info I gave her and ran with it. She then informed the other people taking care of Landon about what I had told her. One of the ladies that was going to be in the recovery room with him (since they monitor him for 30 minutes before we even get to see him), came in to introduce herself and told me that they were going to have "Cars" ready so when he woke up he could watch it in the recovery room. Children's doesn't allow you to go into the operating room with them when they are being put to sleep. Not sure why, maybe it's a liability?? Anyways, so when the lady came to take him she didn't even give us time to make a big fuss. She came in and told Landon that they were going to look for the exit signs in the hallway. After giving Landon hugs and kisses, I plopped him on the bed and told him he was going for a ride on the bed and to show Mickey all the exit signs. He nodded yes and off they went. When Braydon and I peeked down the hall, the lady was trying to make the exit signs sound as exciting as she possibly could and all you could see was the back of Landon's head just looking around for the exit signs. He was so cute! I'm glad he didn't have time to cry and make a big fuss. It definately made it easier on me and Braydon and DEFINATELY on Landon! Thank goodness for wonderful nurses! They are soooooo underappreciated!!

So the plan for Landon today was to have Dr. Quinlan do his broncoscopy first, the hearing test second, and the MRI third. The whole thing was supposed to last about three to four hours. After the first hour or so, Dr. Quinlan came in to talk to us about what he had seen. He brought in pictures that I didn't completely understand even with him pointing things out on them. He showed us a picture he had taken of Landon's tonsils and told us that they were very large and would need to be taken out at some point. He also talked to us about the little blood filled polyps on the front side and top of Landon's tongue. He said that the best option for those (since they bleed a lot) were to just try to remove them. He said it wouldn't take them away completely since he wasn't sure about what was going on on the inside of his tongue, but could possibly help. Other than that, he said that everything in his airway looked very nice and that after the tonsilectomy, we could talk about when we can get the trach taken out!!!!!! I think Braydon and I had to chew on that one for a little while because we had to reiterate to each other what we thought he said after Dr. Quinlan left the room. It was so nice to hear. We had made a plan to try for the tonsilectomy for the spring.

The hearing test went well. The audiologist (the lady that tested Landon's hearing) said that he had small ear canals which we already knew. Even with the small ear canals she said that she felt his hearing was fine. She tested him with high pitches and low pitches which were both normal. When she tested the mid-ranged pitches she said there was a very mild hearing loss, but didn't feel that it would interfere with learning how to talk or his progress from here on out. She actually shared with us that she has the same problem in her ears and she seemed pretty normal to me. :) She also informed us that the responce from the sounds made in his ear when traveling up his brain stem were slowed. This is a side effect from what happened in Denver. Overall, the hearing test told us what we already knew. She said we didn't need to get it repeated, but would love to stick him in the sound booth when he gets a little older just to keep tabs on him.

The MRI we don't have any information on. They normally take a day or so to read anyways, so we weren't expecting to get results today. We aren't even sure when we will get results or who will call us about them...but hopefully no news is good news. :) We have to go see Dr. LaCroix in a couple of weeks anyways for a follow-up so maybe she will know something by the time we see her again.

Today was definately stressful, but in the end went really well. I'm getting to move past my phobia of putting Landon under anesthesia again, and we won't have to worry about doing anything else until the spring! Landon woke up a little aggitated with a little pain. After we got him a dose of Tylenol, he was content just sitting watching "Cars". When we got to take off the blood pressure cuff, the oxygen monitor, and get the IV out, he was so happy walking the halls with us. He was the same kid we came in with. :) We'll have to start calling him the "Comeback Kid" cause he bounces back from all of these procedures so easily (with the exception of May...that one took a little longer). :)

Braydon and I are so thankful that today went so smoothly. Thank you to all of you that sent me text messages to let me know you were thinking of us. I'm so glad that I have such awesome family and friends that support us with so much love. Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!!!

We love you all and hope you have an awesome week!!!!! I'll put up more pictures soon! XOXO

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wish I could have been with you yesterday for Landon's procedure, but you know I was thinking about you guys all day. I can just picture Landon looking around for those exit signs - it makes me smile!

So grateful that everything went well and you are all home and back to your "normal" routine! :)

I love you all!
Nona/Mom/Kathy