Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Snowball Effect

Things have been pretty chill for the past couple of weeks.  Landon has been doing so great with his trach out!  He enjoys listening to how loud he can get and talks non-stop.  I love that he isn't restricted anymore.


We have, however, been experiencing some changes around here.  Since Landon is doing so well without his trach, I've decided to not have the nurses go to school with him.  Since there isn't a threat of a trach being pulled out or needing suctioning, there isn't really a point in them being there.  The school nurse has other children at his school with g-buttons, so she would be able to handle if something was to happen with that.  Plus, a g-button isn't really life-threatening so a school nurse is perfectly capable of handling it. :)  However, the nurses not going to school has created a snowball effect of changes.


First, Landon's school time is in the middle of the day.  From 11:45 to 2:45.  So this creates a problem with Heidi getting a 40 hour work week since she doesn't want to have to make several trips to our house in one day.  Without boring you with the details, she might not be able to stay with us anymore. :(  It makes me incredibly sad and happy at the same time.  Happy that Landon doesn't need nursing as much anymore, and sad because Heidi has been with us for almost 4 years!  It's always sad to see someone move on that you care about.  But we both look at it as a good thing.  I know I'm so thankful for Landon's health and that he is doing so wonderful!


So, next week it will be official that Landon will go to school without a nurse.  It's awesome and scary...like everything else has been the past couple weeks.  It's a change we have to get accustomed to.

We had an opportunity to try out the new scenario today because Heidi came down with a stomach bug.  Landon went to school like a big kid today without Heidi!  It was weird dropping him off, but he handled it like a champ and was excited to get to play with his friend, Jonathan.  That's all he talked about all the way to school. :)  I left school feeling a little anxious, but ignored it because I knew I had left him in capable hands.  His teacher is amazing and wasn't worried at all when I showed up without his nurse.  If she was nervous about me leaving him, she didn't show it.  That comforted me.

So, we aren't totally sure what's going to happen with the nurses for at home.  Since Heidi may or may not be with us anymore, we would either have a new nurse or not at all.  I'm pretty confident that I can handle both kids on my own, but there are some days that it would be helpful to have a second set of hands.  Like on days I have to get Landon to speech therapy at 9am.  It would be extra challenging since King Landon doesn't like to be rushed! ;)  So, I guess we'll see what happens.  Whatever ends up happening, life will go on and I will survive.


Another thing...

We went to see Kim last week for therapy.  She was going through flash cards with Landon working on his "s" and his "t" sounds.  She was even doing some "sh" and "ch" sounds.  She said that he pretty much has all of those except his "ch"!!  Thankfully, we just did a test on him about a month ago that told us whether or not he qualified for speech services anymore because Kim says that if he progresses the way he has in the past 6 months he may not need services by the summer!  Who knew?!?  I thought we would be in speech therapy until he was 10!  I never saw the light at the end of that tunnel!  She did, however, say that there were ways around that.  If it is because of a medical condition that he is not able to say his "ch" sounds (which it is) she can state that.  Or if he gets out in a open room and becomes quiet when he talks (which he does right now) she can use that as a way to keep him getting services.  Otherwise, if he catches up on things, he may be released from therapy!  We won't know for another 6 months when we test him again to see if he qualifies.

Talk about a snowball effect, huh?  I knew that the trach was holding him back in some areas, but it's only made me aware of how much it held him back since he's gotten it out and is showing us what he can do.  Who knew??

The picture below was my attempt to get the kids together for a Valentine's picture...this is the best one I got.  You can only imagine what the rest looked like. :/


No comments: